Jared Spool, one of the leading experts in usability and interface design, shared a great example about how a redesign of an e-commerce website button had a multi-million dollar impact on a business. Store this case study in your usability and UX evangelist arsenal!
- Mozilla support website redesign took 560 hours (or 14 weeks)
- Multiple UX research methods uncovered pain points and areas for improvement
- Designs were tested as prototypes and improved based on user feedback; 7 versions were assessed during project lifecycle
- As a result, there was a 70% decrease in support questions submitted, and
- 80-90% of submitted questions were answered within 24 hrs, an increase from 40-60% rate before re-design
I do not need to convince my colleagues of the value of user research, usability testing and overall focus on meeting user needs during product development cycle. They get it: satisfied users are good for business! Yet, stakeholders regularly demand case studies and hard numbers before opening purse strings to fund a project. As a result, I am collecting (and sharing) UX success stories to help evangelize on value of UX and to make future “battles” for funding shorter, less intense, and (fingers crossed!) extinct!
Redesign of BreastCancer.org website based on user testing lead to the following return on investment:
- 117% increase in unique website visitors
- 41% increase in new user registrations
- 53% reduction in duration of registration process
- 206% increase in number of daily posts
- 80% decrease in number of Help Desk support cases
- 69% decrease in Help Desk cost
These are pretty nice numbers! You can read the full report here.
This article presents a case study comparing user behavior on an e-commerce website before and after it was optimized for mobile devices. Improving user experience by optimizing the website for mobile devices lead to, among other things:
- System Usability Scale (SUS) increased from 57 to 73
- Website bounce rate decreased by 50%
- Unique page views increased by 41%
- Particular product sales increased by 31%
- Overall sales increased by over 70%